- Effective Range: 1,000 yards
- Weight: 10.6 lbs
- Length: 40.9 in
- Barrel Length: 23.2 in
- Cartridge: 7.62x39mm M43
- Action: Gas-operated, rotating bolt
- Rate of Fire: 600 rounds/min
- Muzzle Velocity: 2,444 ft/s (745 m/s)
- Effective Range: Up to 1000 m
- Feed System: 40-round curved magazine; 75-round drum magazine
- Sights: Semi-shrouded front post, sliding tangent with adjustable notch
The RPK was developed in the late 1950's in the Soviet Union, as part of a program to standardize the small arms inventory of the Red Army. It replaced the earlier RPD as the standard light machine gun of the Soviet Union and its satellite states. It is still popular in many undeveloped nations around the world today.
- In the Armory, a drum magazine was shown for the RPK but was not used in the show because reloading the drum would take too much time. So in the episode, they used two orange 40-round banana magazines, similar to those used in AK-47s.
- It is common for 2 banana magazines to be tapped together in order to give the soldier an available magazine to reload from.