- Weight: 7.26 lbs
- Length: Varies with model
- Barrel Length: 14 to 30 inches
- Ammo: 12-gauge
- Magazine: 8 rounds
- Action: Pump-action
- Muzzle Velocity: 1,325 ft/s
- Effective Range: 65 yards
- Feed System: 5 to 8-round internal tube magazine
Mossberg claims that the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test. Even though the US Marine Corps has switched to the semiautomatic M1014 combat shotgun, it is still widely used by the other branches of the US military.
The Mossberg was shot at a pig and put four rounds in under four seconds. The Saiga was shot at four targets in under three seconds. The edge was given to the Saiga due to its semi-auto capability.